Quick and delicious, runner-inspired recipes.
Great for: Refueling after a long run
This hash is a nutrition powerhouse. The combination of protein, carbohydrates, and vitamins will leave your muscles thanking you. If you plan your long runs for the weekend this is the brunch for you.
- 2 large sweet potatoes, peeled and diced into 1/2 inch cubes
- Olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- 4 oz pancetta, cubed
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 red pepper, diced
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 1/2 cups homemade salsa verde (see link to recipe above)
- 10 cherry tomatoes, halved
- 4 eggs
- 1 avocado, sliced
- Parsley and cilantro for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 400
- Place the diced sweet potatoes on a sheet pan. Toss with 1 tablespoon olive oil and roast for 12 minutes, or until just starting to brown.
- While the potatoes are roasting, cook the pancetta in a cast iron skillet until crispy, remove from the skillet, leaving behind the rendered fat.
- Toss in the onion, bell pepper, butter, and 1/2 teaspoon salt and cook on medium heat until the vegetables are tender, about 8-10 minutes.
- Add the sweet potatoes and pancetta and cook for another 7-9 minutes, adding in a few tablespoons of water or chicken stock if the pan gets too dry.
- Spread the mixture evenly along the bottom of the pan and spoon the salsa verde evenly around the pan. Arrange the tomato halves over the top.
- Create four shallow wells for the eggs and crack one egg into each well.
- Cover with a lid and let simmer on medium-low heat for 5-7 minutes until the eggs are cooked but still runny.
- Sprinkle with chopped cilantro and parsley and top with sliced avocado.
About Anna Simon
A lover of all things fresh and flavorful, Anna Simon is a graduate of The University of North Carolina Chapel Hill where she wrote for the food blog carolina-eats.com. Her favorite foods include fresh pineapple, whole roasted fish and PB&Js, and her hobbies include mastering tricky cooking techniques, going for late-night runs and eating her way through new cities. She hopes to one day act as chef/owner of a ceviche and taco bar, and uses her free time now to perfect that menu.